The rose is an amazing flower. It has been utilized over the centuries both as a symbol of passionate love – as well as to represent soldiers during war. Its petals are delicate and beautiful – yet the rosebush is one of the toughest plants in the world. Roses are used to convey the most intimate of emotions, yet rosebushes are often employed for security and protection. The rose is known as the Queen of flowers for good reason – and this June, during National Rose Month, the floral designers at Port Charlotte Florist would like to pass along some incredible facts about this extraordinary flower.
Looking for more? Browse our online Rose Collection, or check out our Pinterest Board.
* Roses have been desired by royalty and coveted by the socially elite. In fact, in the Middle Ages, roses were reserved solely for the top tiers of society, who used their attar (oil) for bath scents and perfumes. Nearly 60,000 roses are required to produce one fluid ounce of rose oil, so having it was considered a display of great wealth.
* Rosebushes have often been used as security barriers – both in ancient times and in contemporary landscapes. The thorns of the rosebush can provide a nearly impenetrable natural impediment to trespassers.
* The world’s oldest rose bush is thought to be in Hildesheim, Germany. There are records which indicate the plant has been flowering since 815 AD.
* Rose varieties vary greatly in attribute. For instance, while the largest rose ever grown measured 33 inches across, some varieties of rose have buds as small as a grain of rice.
* Roses are now cultivated in a wide variety of colors, but never blue. Roses are deficient in a gene required to produce delphinidin, which is the source of blue coloring.
June is National Rose Month, and the floral experts at Port Charlotte Florist are ready to help you send roses to everyone you love. Whether red roses for the love of your life or yellow rose bouquets for your best friends – you can never go wrong sending these iconic flowers.