St. Patrick’s Day is part religious observance, part cultural celebration. It involves some traditions that originated in Ireland and some that are all-American. It is said that everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, so this year break out your best green outfit, find a good corned beef sandwich, and pull up a chair at the Charlotte Saint Patrick’s Day Parade – it’s time to celebrate!
Go Green! If you are looking to dress up your home or office space with green floral designs, the experts at Port Charlotte Florist are the first ones you should call.
Some fun trivia for St. Patrick’s Day:
* St. Patrick was born Maewynn Succat and he was not Irish – he was British. After becoming a Catholic priest and changing his name to Patrick, Succat became a missionary to Ireland.
* The popular legend was that St. Patrick drove all of the snakes out of Ireland. However, historians tell us that never actually happened.
* Patrick is credited with single-handedly converting the local Celtic druids to Christianity. He was beloved in his adopted home.
* Patrick used the shamrock, a three-leafed clover, to teach the children about the doctrine of the Trinity.
* Irish immigrants to Boston in the 1700-1800’s brought their traditions to the United States, and held the first American St. Patrick’s Day parade in 1737.
On March 17th, it is customary for everyone, regardless of nationality, to wear at least one article of green clothing. If someone does not, it is considered perfectly acceptable to “pinch” the offending party for their failure to comply with the whimsical tradition.
If you have friends or loved ones who are proud of their Irish heritage, send them a beautiful floral design from Port Charlotte Florist – choose from such unique blooms as Fuji mums, green cymbidium orchids, or the appropriately-named Bells of Ireland. No matter what you choose, they’ll love the celebration of their home, and all things Irish.